BMW Z4

Steering Problems for BMW Z4 in the U.S.

NTHSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is about to force BMW to recall a large number of Z4 units. The reason for this possible recall is that steering problems may appear.

2003 BMW Z4

We talk about a pretty large recall, in this recall being involved more than 300.000 BMW Z4 units. This recall affects just the units produced for the U.S. and also the risky models are made between 2003 and 2005.

In this regard, Tom Kowalesky, a spokesman for BMW U.S. said that the BMW customers and the Z4 owners will receive all the necessary information about this recall. Mazda officials were greedy in details, they have not said anything even this recall affects also the Mazda 3 units manufactured between 2007 and 2009, the problem is the same as the BMW Z4. 140 complaints related to this steering problem were received by people at BMW that are currently watching on this problem in order to resolve it as fast as possible.

SHARE THE ARTICLE

Pin It
Notify of
guest
161 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Matt Pamuk
Matt Pamuk
10 years ago

Unfortunately, I have a lot of problems with the steering wheel of my 2005 BMW Z4. It is completely unstable. For instance:

1)It keeps pulling to the left, or to the right. It requires constant adjustments so that I could keep the car aligned, or centered.

2)I experience sudden jerks to the left, or to the right when the road surface is slightingly uneven. I can never predict which way the car pulls me. I struggle a lot to keep the steering centered when stopping at any red lights.

3) Sometimes, the steering feels like it is stuck.

4) I took the car to the dealer two years ago when I still had the warranty, and then they replaced the steering column. However, the symptoms did not go away at all. I took the car to another dealer, I was told it is just find and may requires alignment. If there was an alignment problem, the car should pull either to the left, or to the right, not to the both directions.

5) I believe if any elderly person tries to drive this car with such problems will end up having a catastrophic crash. Mainly because of the fact that the driver must pay lots of attention to keep the car centered. Otherwise, at any second you may find yourself somewhere off the road, or under a truck.

6) I have been reading over the internet that many Z4 owners have been experiencing similar problems that I do.

Ken Sternfeld
Ken Sternfeld
10 years ago

I have a 2005 Z4. The above could have been written by me. I have anothe appoint with my dealer tomorrow, one of many since last summer and will bring a copy of this with me. I have also had the steering column replaced in the interim as well as having rplaced all of the tires. Please e-mail me if you have had any success or if you want to know my latest results.

BMW Girl
BMW Girl
9 years ago

I bought a 2004 Z4 in December, 2010. On the drive from Virginia back to Atlanta, I noticed the steering would “stick” and I had to use force to get it back aligned with the road.

I didn’t drive the car much but now that the weather here in Atlanta is getting warmer, I was taking the car out more. In the morning, it is fine. It is after it has been sitting in the sun or I drive it a lot that the steering wheel starts to stick.

I filed a complaint with the NHSTA that is probably going to recall these cars. I advise anyone who hasn’t filed, please do. The more, the better chance at recall. I also filed a complaint with BMW North America.

BMW North America set up an appointment with an engineer to look at my car. I got the call that they found a problem with the steering and will be replacing the EPS system… at no cost to me.

I understand that it is the 2003, 2004 and 2005 models that have this problem.

Marcus
Admin
Reply to  BMW Girl

BMW Z4 is a very fine car for you, Did you solved the problem anyway?

Albert Gomez
Albert Gomez
9 years ago

I just bought a used ’04 Z4 last week, and the exact same thing started happening with mine. It was fine in the test drive but I had the same problems the second I drove it off the lot. How would I go about filing the necessary complaints to get this recall going?

obritz
obritz
9 years ago

amen!!! My wifes z4 sometimes drives like a snake. I wont allow her to drive on any narrow street. It dives for oncoming traffic then to the ditch. It’s only a matter of time and someone is going to seriously get hurt. And I know who’s responsible.

Bob Larson
Bob Larson
9 years ago

Yet ANOTHER Z4 E85 owner with an accident waiting to happen. Just drove newly acquired 2005 Z4 first time above 85F. VERY Disappointed. VERY dangerous. When the class action suit comes around for BMW’s reckless endangerment of vehicle owners, I’ll sign-up. Hundreds of complaints, a few accidents and no recall. Not even a TSA ????

Mike Swenson
Mike Swenson
9 years ago

Same problem here with my 2005 Z4 very mad at dealer (they said..of course they couldn’t duplicate the problem!).

This problem is all over the internet and if BMW doesn’t get it together they will have one ugly PR problem with matching lawsuit on their hands.

John McBeth
John McBeth
9 years ago

Same problem here. 2005 BMW Z4 with only 11,700 miles. Dealer is replacing the steering column as we speak for $3,300! This car is driven by my wife, so it’s 11,000 very easy miles. The car has never seen rain or wet roads. Unbelievable. I think we need to take serious action here.

Clay Foster
Clay Foster
9 years ago

I have the same problem with the sticking steering…. I thought it was just mine until I finally started looking into the problem. What a disappointment! 26K miles on a 2005 and it drive like crap! And has driven like that since I got it 4 years ago. This is Definitely NOT “The Ultimate Driving Machine”. The BMW dealers do everything they can to avoid dealing with the problem. They never seem to be able to replicate the problem. Another load of crap! Undoubtedly the worst service of any vehicle manufacturer I have ever owned. I agree with Mike, BMW is going to have a Huge PR problem if they don’t step up to the plate and fix this dangerous problem. Car darts everywhere and the “sticking” requires a sharp turn of the wheel to the right or left to get it to center back up in the lane and hope like hell you don’t take out a retaining wall while doing that, unbelievable. I can’t understand how the Toyota Camry “has a sticky acceleration problem” and the government is all over Toyota. Recalls were forced across the country and I mean quickly. For what these Z4’s cost you can buy 3 Camay’s. Where is the “Government” now?? This should not be happening to a “quality” performance automobile of this caliber. I am so disappointed in BMW! If the dealer and BMW America don’t “man up” I can guarantee that it will be my last from them!

Marcus
Admin
9 years ago

I understand this big steering problem with the BMW Z4s manufactured between 2003-2005 and BMW should begin to recall in service these cars. We cannot help you with anything, we just try to talk to BMW about this problem. I am sorry that it happens in a large number of people who own this model made ​​between 2003 and 2005, very sad. We hope to reach a recall of all Z4 with this problem and that you should continue to be pleased with BMW and their services …
Stay connected on BMWCoop for more details regarding this problem,
I wish you luck!

Rush
Rush
9 years ago

I have the same problem with my 2004 BMW Z4. It is the way you all described. I am not sure how to file my complaint.

Please note the first post above where he has problems of the car pulling left or right on rutted pavement is an issue of the high performance tires and not a steering issue. Get big soft cushy tires and that problem will go away.

The steering issue when the weather is hot is an engineering problem. This case will prove that BMW does not have the best engineering and that BMW is not the “ultimate driving machine” unless they step up to the plate and solve this steering problem.

Rush
Rush
9 years ago

I used to love driving my Z4 untill this problem became the dominating part of the driving experience. Now I will leave the Z in the garage and take my pickup because it is not longer FUN to drive when the weather is hot. I have to fight the steering wheel every minute it is moving.

TerryD
TerryD
9 years ago

95 Degrees outside today. Drove my 2005 Z4 to the office in the morning, handled fine. Left the office around 5, and the steering was extremely stiff. Swerved my way home at slower that normal speed because I was afraid of the car’s steering. I have experienced this before, but not as stiff as today. Tonight I thought I’d check the internet to see if other owners were experiencing similar problems. Wow, what an eye opener! The steering stiffness was probably more noticeable this evening because the car sat in the sun all day, and it got really warm under the hood. My car is garage kept. I do not drive it very often. The odometer has less that 20k miles and its 6-1/2 yr old.

RusH
RusH

TEMPORARY FIX – UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM
I wrote a comment on July 28 and want to amend my comments. I took my Z4 to an independent mechanic who specializes in BMW. He looked at it and now it drives like it did when i purchased it.

First a description of the problem: My steering column turns similar to the fan control switch on the Z4 – from detent to detent and not smoothly like a volume control on a radio. If you reach forward to the fan control console and turn it you will note that it does not turn smoothly it goes from stop to stop to stop about every 5 degrees. Each stop is called a detent. So as you turn the knob it starts in a detent then as you turn it clicks into the next detent and stops then you have to twist a bit harder till it clicks into the next detent. That is how my steering column acts when it is hot outside. It clicks into one detent and that position may not keep you driving straight down the road. You try to correct it and it will not turn unless you push exra hard then it goes past the point that would keep you going straight downt he road into the next detent and you are progressively headed off the other side of the road. As you try to correct it by turning back, it will not smoothly turn back, it resists till you push extra hard then it goes past the point that would keep you going straight and stops in the next detent and now you are headed off the road in the other direction.

It should feel more like volums control turning smoothly to any direction as needed and would keep you going straight.

THIS IS NOT THE STEERING PULL THAT IS CHARACTERISTIC OF HIGH PERFORMANCE LOW PROFILE TIRES TRYING TO RIDE TO THE TOP OF THE RUTS ON AN UNEVEN ROAD. Some of the desriptions above are clearly HiPerformance (HP) tires/rut problems. This problem is not a BMW problem there is nothing that BMW can do to solve that problem. Any HP tire will ride to the top of ruts. If you want a HP vehicle then you have to live with “rut pull”. If you do not want to deal with “rut pull” then don’t drive a HP car with low profile HP tires. Or put some of those big cushy tires on your vehicle. It will not pull near as hard and you can lumber down he road in comfort not fighting rutpull.

Richard Behn in Pensacola, took my steering column apart and discovered a lousy BMW design. There is a bearing on the steering column that is not sealed. It is open and exposed and not lubricateable at least not easy to lubricate. The column must be removed and to clean and lubricate it. Which is what he did for me. Further it is not replaceable short of replacing the entire steering column ($3500). BMW will not sell just the bearing. Apparently BMW cannot sell just the bearing because the inner bearing race is the column itself. In my opinion the design is flawed. If should include a bearing that is sealed or replaceable. Richard cleaned the bearing and put in new lubricant ($250) and now my steering is like it was when it was new. It is smooth, no more “detent” characteristics. It is fun to drive again. I still have the “rut-pull” but that is the price to pay for high performance.

Richard told me this problem is not fixed. The lubricant will run out of the bearing and it will dry and the bearing will again begin to wear quickly. The problem will return and the steering will get lousty and even dangerous. For now I am enjoying the driving again.

Marcus
Admin
Reply to  RusH

Hello Rush,

Thank you for explaining the problem and how to solve it, it should help all BMW Z4 owners with this steering problem. Keep reading this article for other discussion. Also, if you are a BMWCoop fan, the please like our BMWCoop’s facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/BMWCoop/

Have a great day!

David
David
9 years ago

Me too. Just drove home from a top motor replacement (another poor design – leaves covering the drain hole allowing the compartment to fill with water). Very harrowing 60 mile drive in hot weather. Almost scary. This has been happening to me since 25k (now at 52k). Dealer dismissed it when it was still under warranty. Very irritating.

Joe
Joe
9 years ago

Ok Rush, If lubing that bearing your talking about was a temporary fix what about the owners that had a brand new steering column put in with new bearing and fresh lube and still has the same problem. You must of had a bearing defect in yours.

nelson
nelson
9 years ago

J’ai un z4 2005 3.0 et j’ai aussi le même probleme avec la colonne de direction…..que faire…

Bob
Bob
9 years ago

To Rush, thanks for the temp fix on the bearing, one question, which bearing is it that needs the lube, the one in the lower steering box or the one that holds the column in the firewall area ??

paula
paula
9 years ago

We purchased a Z4 from a dealer through the auction and when we tried to get it fixed we called them up to ask if they knew of any “common problems” with the Z4’s steering. The service advisor actually told me that “it was rare”. !!!!! Can you believe that???!!! I was just searching online to find a cheap steering column to have put in and found ALL THIS! Either he was flat out lying or needs to be flat out fired for being such an idiot! I won’t name the dealership, but it was in Orlando. Thanks Rush for a possible solution!

Phillip Bowen
Phillip Bowen
9 years ago

I found my 05 Z4 on autotrader.com and drove from alabama to pennsylvania to buy my car that had 50,000 miles. It drove perfectly on my test drive and i thought that i had read up on this car enough to determine that there were no major problems with them. On my 900 mile drive back home i realized that i had the sticky steering problem that many of you have described. We must band together and make BMW recall and fix this obvious “DEFECT”. It’s a shame that they have not realized that they have a serious problem and made things right for the thousands of Z4 owners like us. I am not gonna just go away! I love my car but this problem has to be fixed! Let’s stand together people and demand action!!!!

Gordon O'Connor
Gordon O'Connor
9 years ago

I have a 2004 Z$ with under 20,000 miles. I started having this same sticking steering issue a few years ago. I had BMW look at it they said they could find nothing, but still charged me to look. I have since had another garage look at it and they have concluded it is the electronic steering Column and that it needs to be replaced ( cost would be approx $ 4000 ). This garage/ dealership feels the car is unsafe to drive. Obviously BMW know this, and is just hoping with few enough complaints it just goes away. Everyone with this issue should report it on-line, it takes seconds. Hopefully this might make them accountable to fix what they know is a problem. I can’t believe a recall has not already been issued.

Ron Overton
Ron Overton
9 years ago

Hey I thought I was crazy. My 04 with 52k now, has the issue. My steering jerks to the left and sticks randomly. I thought it was just because of weather since it’s RWD with the rain pouring. Yet, it happened with the great weather as well. I hope they recall the damn thing lol. I feel for us all, not fear. I am going to make a complaint just so we can get this fixed. One day. Where exactly do we report this?

Rodney Lemonier
Rodney Lemonier
9 years ago

Just purchased a 2003 Bmw Z4 the previous owner never mentioned this issue but i have found a service invoice in the car with this complaint. Now i am afraid for my wife or me to drive the car. Is Rush’s solution (above) the definitive fix for this problem?? Is the new steering columns being installed by BMW redesigned with new type bearings??

Jill Soniker
Jill Soniker
9 years ago

If you do have this problem, please file a problem report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml this is what will force BMW to order a recall if enough complaints are filed and the NHTSA forces them to fix it!

Al
Al
9 years ago

Bought a 2004 Z4 with 40,000 miles in June 2011. On one of my trips to Atlanta ( 200 miles each way) the car started to not want to correct to the right. Conditions were 68 F and expressway. The condition occurred on the the way home after driving 3 hours to Atlanta and 1 1/2 hours home. Car will not correct to the right and then when enough pressure is applied to the steering wheel the car leaps to the right. Reported the problem to the NHTSA. If this had been a Chevrolet the media would have been all over it and GM would have done the right thing and fixed it. The problem has manifested itself on other occassions under similar conditions. Talked to dealer and was told that the steering column needed to be replaced at about $3500. Any american car with a steering defect that manifested itself while under 45K miles would have been the subject of a media outrage. The problem does not seem to show up during around town driving at temperatures above 70F.

Phillip Bowen
Phillip Bowen
9 years ago

Update on my steering problem. I recieved a call from BMW corporate 3 weeks ago wanting me to take my Z4 in to Tom Williams BMW in birmingham for a diagnosis. BMW paid for the diagnosis(a start) and as suspected the only fix is replacement of the steering column at a price of $3180.00! We have to get something done and i am writing more letters to BMW and forwarding to the NHTSA for their review. I feel if we all stick together and keep the heat on both of them, a recall is in our future. Contact me at pcbowen1@aol.com if you have ideas or want to know what i have found out! Our day is coming!!

Deb
Deb
9 years ago

I have a 2005 Z4 and thought it was my not being used to the car’s handling ability.. I have a US car that was imported to Canada and I hope that BMW will make good this issue..

charlie byrd
charlie byrd
9 years ago

i see i am not alone. have a 05 z4 with sticking steering. we need a recall.

Joelle
Joelle
8 years ago

I have a Z4 2005, I have the same problem with my steering, now I am scared to drive my car, where can we file for a complaint

Marcus
Admin
Reply to  Joelle

We can work together for a official complaint regarding this problem. All owners of Z4s having these steering problems please write here your complaint.

Chris
Chris
8 years ago

Just bought a 2005 Z4 with 100K miles. No problems on the test drive. The sticky steering seems to occur when the car sits outdoors in temperatures above 75F. Thought maybe it was a steering box issue til I read all these posts! I filed with NHTSA and spoke to BMW North America. BMW wants me to take the car and pay the dealer to diagnose it. They say they have no recalls or tech bulletins. Not sure what my next move is. It sounds like an obvious product defect with so many having the problem.

Ray
Ray
8 years ago

does this problem happen only when its hot?? … i dove my z4 this weekend for the first time this yr and it was in mid 90s and its the first time i felt the steering stick.
wish like all of you that BMW would recall this car

Rob
Rob
8 years ago

Same sticky steering problems as all of the you on my 2004 Z4 36k miles. I’ve been driving around with the problem for several months now, but seems no one has had much luck getting anything done other than the $3k plus fix. In the meantime I filed a complaint at the safecar.gov site, hope we can get something done about this before someone gets hurt!

Reid Kearl
Reid Kearl
8 years ago

Same sticky steering problems as all of the you on my 2004 Z4 83k miles. I’ve been driving around with the problembut I am getting nervous. I filed a complaint at the safecar.gov site, hope we can get something done about this before someone gets hurt! This is my second BMW but my confidence is being eroded fast.

Phillip Bowen
Phillip Bowen
8 years ago

UPDATE!!! I got BMW of NA to pay for the steering column to fix my 05 Z4! You have to go thru the proper channels and have given a few people the heads up on what i did. It cost me 300$ labor to get the 3100$ defective steering column replaced and now it drives like a dream. Plus if there is a recall i will get the 300 back! Please don’t give up. BMW knows that there is a problem. The mechanic had problems getting the column out because it was “rusted in”.Hang in there and let’s keep fighting for our rights! The squeeky wheel gets the grease and i am proof of that. Contact me if i can help at pcbowen1@aol.com.

sam ancitano
sam ancitano
8 years ago

I bought my 2004 Z4 3.0i in Oct. of 2011 with 19,500 mi. I did not have garage to house the car at that time,so the car was outside til winter weather set in. I live outside Pittsburgh, the steering sticking problem started from the start on warm and sunny days. The sticking correction varies from annoying to OH!!!! I do not let my wife drive this car. COME ON BMW FESS UP TO YOUR POOR ENGINEERING OF THIS STEERING COLUMN !!

Ted
Ted
8 years ago

Well it’s good to know I’m not alone. I have a 2004 Z4 with 72k miles that I imported to Canada from Florida in 2010. When I say “imported” I mean I flew down and drove I back! It was a blast and still is, except for the weird steering I began noticing last summer. Seems to be only in very warm weather. The car almost has to be forced to steer. I have a good local mechanic who specializes on Volvo but does work on BMW also. I am letting him have a look at the car to see if he can find out what the problem is. Ive copied Rush’s notes on the bearing for him to look at too. I will post if he finds a solution. I do agree that it’s time BMW stepped up to the plate and offered a factory fix.

Amy W
Amy W
8 years ago

I just purchased a 2003 Z4 with only 9500 miles. An awesome car with one exception – the steering. I am having the same problems as described above. I have to constantly “fight” the car to keep it straight, especially at higher speeds. The performance is just not acceptable or safe! What will it take for a recall? Please file all complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Below is the link to file a complaint. We have to stick together on this one!!!

NHTSA Contact Information
Click Here to Send Email to NHTSA

Sonja
Sonja
8 years ago

I have a 2004 Z4 I bought new while stationed in Germany. It has under 12000 miles and has same problem. I ask the dealer to look at the issue several times but they never found anything wrong. Seems there is no problem driving around the parking lot. Last time I ask to go with and when we got out on the road above 30 MPH bingo I have a problem but out of warranty now. How ever for $3200 they can fix it. Filed a complant with NTSB. Everyone needs to go to the NTSB web site and file. That is the only hammer that might make BMW recall these or at least soft recall where they pay some of the cost.

Bill E
Bill E
8 years ago

I have a 2004 Z4 with “sticky” steering issues also. Bought the car 6 months ago and still trying to get the problem resolved. I have filed 2 complaints with the NHTSA, called 3 dealers and BMW NA. It’s going back to another dealer today, for the second time, to try and replicate the problem, so I can get a diagnosis for this “rare” problem, as I’m told by the service manager. What a bunch of BS!!!

sue m high point nc
sue m high point nc
8 years ago

well here it is june 2012 and i see how old some of these posts are. my 2005 z5 has the steering sickness too. especially when the weather is warm, i’ve only owned it for 6 mos. i put 4 brand new tires on it.(the used car dealer sold it to me with 4 different tires on there) (shall i mention peters auto mall)high point nc??? the radio was intermittent had i not told them and harassed them to say it only works after i go over a bump? they finally agreed to put a pioneer in there and not a stock bmw radio. i just finished driving back from myrtle beach and i thought i was gonna kill somebody with this outa wack steering thing i was so self conscious, i felt like a drunk driver trying to overcompensate for pulling to the left and then pulling to the right.. i’ve seen people texting and driving that steered better than i did. i was a nervous wreck and it drove me nuts. what do i have to do sell the darn thing and pass the problem on? no that aint’ right. this steering problem isn’t right. what the heck do i do? i just took it to my local mechanic and they suggested i take it to the dealer. NOT. not taking it back to where i bought it they gave me a 30day warranty. hello. goodbye, we got your mustang on the trade in see ya is how they pretty much handle it. how much more money am i to put into this car? or are we going to wait until theres another accident? death? or multi deaths? come on Tom Kowalesky spokesperson for BMD and NHSTA what are you waiting for? ? ? ? ? ? i’m waiting.

Paul L
Paul L

Hi from the UK!

This problem also affects Zeds over here quite a bit, including my late’06 facelift car.

If you are diagnosing the problem, like Sonja above, remember that the power assistance falls off the faster you go…so at low speeds it will easily overcome any resistance and the problem won’t be evident at all. The ‘stickiness’ you feel at speed is because there is resistance in the column somewhere and so the power steering kicks in with a bit of extra oomph, making it feel like its come unstuck.

Its seriously, good luck with your endeavours all of you! I just wish BMW would be honest for once and explain exactly what the problem is.

Denis
Denis
8 years ago

I have a 2005 Z4 which I bought in 2008. I have felt the sticky steering for some time but it seems to go away. I never really noticed if it was during hot weather or not. Today I am in Montreal Canada and it is only 26C, not sure what that is in farenheight, and the steering is a bit sticky but what is worse now it that I get a amber waring light in the dash with a steering Icon. Don’t like this one. Again it seems to just flash on then goes away. Will call the dealer next week and see what they say. I have 104,000 kilometers on the clock. Just over 60,000 miles. This should not be happening to the ultimate machine….I have had cars with double this milage and never a steering problem… hope BMW does something about it…

Chris
Chris
8 years ago

Took my 2005 Z4 to BMW of Santa Maria, CA last week. The steering was very sticky by the time I arrived. It was in the 80’s. The tech new right away it was the steering column. I had been in contact with BMWNA and filed a complaint with NHSTA. BMWNA agreed to pay half the cost (my car has a little over 100k on it) of the steering column. Installed it cost me about $1650.. It now drives like “the ultimate driving machine”. A product defect is exactly that and as I am glad to have the column replaced (with the updated column)I believe BMW should recall these cars or at a very minimum should fix them as they become aware.

Sue
Sue
8 years ago

I have a 2004 Z4 with 29,000 miles. I purchased it 2 years ago from a local BMW dealership with 24,500 miles on it. I have hardly driven it because I don’t feel in control with the steering. I have taken it back to the dealership several times complaining of this issue & they just say “oh, this car has a different feel than you are used too etc.” I finally took it to an independant but certified BMW service center and they drove it and felt it immediately. They did some research and diagnosed the steering column issue immediately. Said they felt it is very unsafe to drive. I’m taking it back to my dealership tomorrow! Wish me luck! They won,t be blowing me off this time!

Kevin
Kevin
8 years ago

I have a 2003 z4 with 73K miles and the steering column issue appears to have happened to it too! While driving into work this morning, the ABS, brake, column failure and airbag light all came on at the same time…the ac shutdown, lost all of my guage lights and the power steering became stiff! All at 70mph on I-20! I managed to get the car off the interstate and was only a few miles from my home…got the car home, it sat for about 30 mins, went out to start investigating, car started up as normal with everything running properly….began turning the steering and the same warning lights began showing up! What to do next?? Afraid to drive it to a dealership as the closest one is 40 miles away! Any help or suggestions are appreciated..

Chris
Chris
8 years ago

I have posted a couple of times on this site regarding my 2005 Z4 steering issue. Posted last week that I had the steering column replaced. A friend of a friend is a product defect attorney and we had a conversation regarding these steering column issues with our Z4’s. His firm is interested in researching these cases further so if any of you are interested in contacting them with your experiences here is the contact info. Kenneth King, Esq. kkinghk@sbcglobal.net, and Ronald Hartman, constructiondefects@sbcglobal.net Maybe this type of action could help get a recall!

Martin
Martin
8 years ago

Our Z4’s steering sticks when outside temperatures are hot 90deg+. I noticed this condition last year in the summer months every time I drove the car in the heat (N. Texas summer) the car had only 39000mi. on it. In the cool mornings it feels normal but in the middle of the day or after driving 15-20 minuets the steering wheel literately feels stuck in a position and takes abnormal amount of effort to turn/change direction then it’s like it just suddenly releases but only after you finally apply enough pressure to brake it loose and this causes you to over-steer the car, it feels unsafe to drive especially in traffic or driving close to a hwy barrier/construction zone etc.. the steering also will not return to center in a slight turn it just keeps turning until you have to force it back to center. My wife started driving the car a couple of days ago and said the steering felt like it was sticking, and that she had to use considerable force to change direction and the car would dart towards the direction change due to having to overcompensate for the stuck condition, she said it scared her. Best description I can give is to compare the steering to an electrical switch e.g. (fan blower switch) that has a notch or catch between the speeds and how it takes additional effort to come out of one speed and into another, not a big deal for a fan switch but this condition in a steering system could be catastrophic. this car is in immaculate condition with under 53000mi and has always been garaged sense new. I have reported my car and this condition to the NHTSA and filed a complaint with BMW as well, I suggest all should do the same.